Howdy, pals! This summer season, I am touring to Ecuador to take part in my fifth chautauqua on monetary independence. You should consider joining me. These Ecuador chautauquas — that are unrelated to the European chautauquas — are all the time a enjoyable, academic, and bonding expertise.
Clarification: Sooner or later, chautauqua founders Cheryl Reed and JL Collins parted methods. Now JL runs the European chautauquas — that are on hiatus — with Katie and Alan Donegan. Cheryl continues to run the unrelated Ecuador gatherings. Each occasions are wonderful.
As all the time, I plan to talk about the intersection of cash and which means.
How are you going to discover objective in your life — with or without cash? How a lot cash is sufficient? What must you do after you’ve got achieved monetary independence? These are the types of questions I’ve explored at previous chautauqua occasions. And whereas I have not but ready my presentation for this 12 months, I count on these are the identical questions I will be exploring in July.
Different audio system this 12 months embody:
- Tanja Hester from Our Next Life. Tanja is an outspoken voice within the personal-finance neighborhood, working laborious to problem assumptions and to advertise monetary freedom for all. She’s the writer of the wonderful Work Non-compulsory and the award-winning Pockets Activism. (Tanja can also be a fellow office-supply nerd. Severely, our chat historical past is stuffed with geeky discussions of favourite pens and notebooks.)
- Piggy and Kitty (a.ok.a. Jess and Lauren) from Bitches Get Riches. Lengthy-time readers know that BGR is certainly one of my favourite cash blogs. I like how Jess and Lauren mix biting humor with deep dives into personal-finance subjects. Not a simple job. And the Bitches are simply as humorous in individual as they’re on the net. (I flip to Piggy and Kitty after I need assistance with trendy popular culture. “What does S-tier imply?” “How do I make a Taylor Swift animated GIF?”)
- Jessica and Corey from The Fioneers. Whereas I’ve met Jessica and Corey, I’ve by no means actually had an opportunity to get to know them. I am keen to alter that in Ecuador. I discover their writing thought of and considerate. I am significantly keen on their idea of Slow FI, the notion that you should use “the incremental monetary freedom [you] achieve alongside the journey to monetary independence to dwell happier and more healthy lives, do higher work, and construct sturdy relationships”. This meshes effectively with my very own imaginative and prescient of the stages of financial freedom. (Final Halloween, Jessica and Corey printed an interview with me: Money doesn’t magically fix our problems.)
And, in fact, we’ll take pleasure in a presentation from our host, Cheryl Reed. Cheryl based these cash chautauquas with JL Collins in 2013 and she or he’s hosted ten of them previously. She likes to debate happiness and pleasure and the way to develop it in your life.
When you’re desirous about attending this chautauqua, you can find more information at the official website. Be aware that there are two gatherings in Ecuador this 12 months. If it does not work to hitch me, maybe you’ll be able to attend the second occasion.
Every chautauqua is completely different, in fact, however the 4 earlier retreats I’ve attended all had similarities:
- Attendees collect at a resort for every week of dialog and camaraderie. These are smallish amenities that enable us to spend time along with few different friends. We eat and drink collectively. We stroll collectively. We play video games collectively. We discuss cash collectively. We’ve enjoyable!
- Every day, one (or extra) of the presenters offers a discuss a topic expensive to her coronary heart. (I discuss cash and which means, as an example.) These are l-o-n-g displays however they’re enjoyable, interactive, and informative.
- Every attendee meets one-on-one with a presenter. What you do with that point is as much as you. I’ve had individuals deliver detailed spreadsheets and questions on retirement. I’ve had individuals chat with me about journey. I’ve had individuals ask for relationship recommendation (no joke!). Typically talking, it is an opportunity so that you can choose an individual’s mind about some type of matter associated to their space of experience.
- There are numerous (optionally available) off-site journeys to go to the native space. In Portugal, we visited a vineyard. In Ecuador, we have visited thriving markets, chocolate factories, and butterfly preserves.
From what I’ve seen, nonetheless, the actual worth is within the friendships fashioned throughout these weeks. A lot of our time is spent sitting collectively discussing life, the universe, and every thing.
I am nonetheless involved with of us from every of the chautauquas I’ve attended previously. A few of these of us have develop into shut pals with whom I’ve frequent contact. (Our 2016 crew — the Werewolf Hunters — even rented a home in Utah for an in-person reunion. We go to one another each time we’re in one another’s cities and have a semi-active group chat.)
I am unable to promise that you’re going to kind life-long pals throughout this week, however from what I’ve seen, the chances are good. And no marvel. You are gathering with a bunch of like-minded individuals to speak about some deep, private topics. Bonding is certain to happen.
Listed below are just a few favourite pictures from previous chautauquas…
These chautauquas aren’t for everybody, and I do know that. However they’re good occasions for a certain class of people. When you assume that you are a kind of individuals, hop on over to the website to check out the small print. Possibly I will see you in Ecuador this summer season!
Yet another fast notice: I lately joined my pal Grant Sabatier on the Earn & Make investments podcast for a dialogue about money burnout. These conversations with Grant and Doc G are all the time entertaining and enlightening.