Constructing a web site could be each probably the most thrilling and probably the most daunting a part of beginning a brand new enterprise. It means diving into a brand new world of risk, whereas additionally managing the technical and design parts that go into constructing your personal web site.
For example, you’ll want to contemplate what the positioning will appear like, the way you’ll manage merchandise on the web page, and what pages and sub-pages you’ll create. You’ll additionally want to make sure the checkout course of works easily. That may be so much to juggle on high of selecting a web site builder to make your web site a actuality.
The excellent news is that there are reasonably priced website builders that cater to small enterprise house owners such as you, and the method could be as easy or as concerned as you’d prefer it to be.
What to search for in a web site builder
There are numerous web site builders on the market that can assist you construct an ecommerce web site on your on-line retailer—however not all web site builder software program is created equal.
We evaluated the best ecommerce website builders particularly for small companies, based mostly on 4 standards: value level, ease of use, variety of options, and degree of customization provided.
These standards are greatest to contemplate should you’re simply getting began and don’t wish to get slowed down by a web site builder with a steep studying curve. In addition they are an excellent indication of scalability—as your store grows, you’ll need a web site builder that may scale with you.
Affordability is vital for any software program buy, nevertheless it’s particularly essential if you’re simply beginning a brand new enterprise. In any case, within the progress part, you’ll must keep costs as low as possible. There’s all the time a tradeoff between free and paid web site builders.
For instance, some distributors supply paid perks like elite web hosting providers and high-quality templates, whereas different distributors supply free domain name internet hosting for the primary 12 months and low-cost plans in the event that they’re advert supported.
Ease of use
You could know HTML just like the again of your hand. Or, you might want a drag-and-drop editor that does all the coding for you. Both method, web site builders needs to be straightforward to make use of not solely at first, but in addition as you proceed to replace your web site’s look and content material. We checked out how straightforward every web site builder platform really makes it to create your on-line retailer, with or with out internet design experience.
Past the fundamental capabilities of constructing a web site, what number of further options does your web site builder device supply?
Make sure to have a look at what sort of buyer help choices the corporate gives, in addition to how fee processing works. Nice buyer help (an in depth information base, clear tutorials, or reside chat help) will make your web site constructing journey a lot simpler, whereas having a fee processor you’ll be able to depend on will improve gross sales.
Stage of customization
Whereas most web site builders supply some degree of customization, many are extraordinarily restricted within the artistic flexibility they provide. This could pose a problem for a enterprise trying to spotlight its distinctive model. We checked out how inflexible every web site builder is, in addition to which design choices they provide, to make your retailer stand out.
The very best web site builders for small companies
Let’s take a look at a number of the top ecommerce platforms you need to use to construct a web site:
Greatest all-in-one ecommerce web site builder for small companies
As you begin this course of, you would possibly suppose constructing a web site and promoting merchandise on-line are totally different steps, with totally different instruments. Nevertheless, there’s a giant distinction between tacking commerce options (itemizing merchandise, accepting payments, monitoring stock, fulfilling orders, and so on.) onto an current web site, and utilizing a web site builder that features these options natively.
In case you actually are simply in search of a web site builder, you may not want all the further commerce instruments. But when your aim is to create a thriving ecommerce enterprise from the beginning, Shopify could also be the perfect web site builder for you.
Shopify is an all-inclusive subscription-based commerce device that’s excellent for on-line shops of any measurement, at any stage. It’s designed to develop with you. It helps you get arrange with a customized area identify and internet hosting providers, has excessive storage and bandwidth allowances, and gives free advertising options for social media, e mail advertising, web site chat, and extra. Plus, Shopify helps you promote by means of online sites to extend your attain and gross sales.
Shopify is likely one of the high web site builders for many enterprise house owners more often than not, for these causes:
- Simplicity. It’s straightforward for anybody to get began on Shopify, and it stays straightforward to make use of as you scale. You may go beneath the hood if you wish to, however you too can keep, customise, and scale your retailer with out studying to code.
- Efficiency. Shopify’s web site constructing expertise gives super-fast load times and the best-performing checkout on the web. You don’t want separate internet hosting on your area, and also you don’t must hook up a third-party checkout device. Shopify’s built-in purchasing cart is world class.
- Omnichannel. Shopify’s web site builder means that you can promote wherever your prospects are. Shopify is all the time serving to retailers convey their merchandise to new markets. We lately launched the TikTok sales channel and supply a Shop Pay plus Facebook and Instagram partnership. There’s no want for in depth add ons or plug-ins.
🎯 Fast information
- Worth: Shopify gives a free trial so you’ll be able to mess around with its web site builder with out having to pay upfront. After that, Primary Shopify is $39 per 30 days (greatest for brand new companies, like yours), Shopify is $105 per 30 days (greatest for a rising enterprise with one retail store), and Superior Shopify is $399 per 30 days (greatest for rising companies with two or extra retail outlets).
- Ease of use: Shopify’s website-building instruments are extremely intuitive, and should you need assistance you’ll be able to flip to the in depth assist heart, discussion board, or 24/7 help.
- Options: Nice buyer help accessible 24/7 by way of reside chat, telephone, and e mail; greater than 100 fantastically designed mobile-friendly themes; SEO; inventory management; free SSL certificates; an app retailer with greater than 4,000 simply built-in instruments; reporting and analytics; a useful cellular app.
- Stage of customization: Every web site template on Shopify is definitely customizable, and in order for you full management, you’ll all the time have entry to the HTML and CSS of your web site.
- Instance: Take a look at Greens Steel Premium Drinkware to see Shopify in motion.
2. Massive Cartel
In case you’re an artist concerned about promoting your work on-line however need a customized area as an alternative to Etsy, Big Cartel is for you. It’s straightforward to make use of and arrange, and it’s made by artists, so the founders have already thought-about something you would possibly must promote your work on the internet.
🎯 Fast information
- Worth: Big Cartel is free for up to five products, so should you’re an artist just starting to sell your work online, this might be an ideal possibility for you. After that, Platinum (50 merchandise) is $9.99 per 30 days and Diamond (500 merchandise) is $19.99 per 30 days.
- Ease of use: It’s very straightforward (and fast!) to arrange your personal web site with BigCartel. In case you’re trying to develop your small business over time although, it’s exhausting to scale this to extra channels than simply internet.
- Options: Buyer help is offered by e mail seven days every week, 8 a.m. to six p.m. ET; as much as 5 photographs of every product; free themes you’ll be able to customise (plus code entry); make gross sales each on-line and in particular person; use a customized area; supply promotions; hook up Google Analytics; cargo and stock monitoring; gross sales tax auto pilot; bulk enhancing.
- Stage of customization: Use one among BigCartel’s pre-baked themes to arrange your web site in a pinch, or design the complete factor your self with full code entry.
- Instance: Check out The Feebles Shop to see what a Massive Cartel retailer seems to be like IRL. The Feebles Store makes use of Stripe as its fee processor.
A well-liked web site builder, Wix gives myriad totally different pricing plans based mostly on what you want. It falls brief on stock monitoring, and lots of ecommerce options require an improve to the best tier of plan. Wix ADI, its internet design intelligence system, can build a website for you in minutes with just a bit details about your small business.
Nonetheless, Wix does have choices for plans, subscriptions, and recurring funds, so should you promote a product prospects subscribe to, this builder may be excellent for you.
🎯 Fast information
- Worth: Wix differentiates its commonplace web site plans from its ecommerce plans. Since you’ll want to simply accept and course of funds, you’ll need to go along with one among its enterprise and ecommerce plans. Enterprise Primary is $27 per 30 days, Enterprise Limitless is $32 per 30 days, and Enterprise VIP is $59 per 30 days. Wix will refund the price of any premium plan, so long as you cancel inside 14 days of upgrading.
- Ease of use: The user-friendly drag-and-drop editor makes Wix a simple device to make use of.
- Options: Wix web sites lack stock administration instruments, so if that’s one thing you realize you’re going to depend upon, you might wish to look elsewhere. For full ecommerce entry, you’ll wish to go along with the Enterprise Limitless or Enterprise VIP plan, because the Primary plan is missing in superior options like dropshipping and tax automation. Premium options for the higher degree plans embody: drag-and-drop web site builder; recurring fee choices; 24/7 buyer care; automated tax; dropshipping; search-engine-optimized pages; purchasing integrations with Fb, eBay, Instagram, and Google Purchasing.
- Stage of customization: Use the drag-and-drop builder to customise one among 800 templates. Each component of any template is customizable.
- Instance: Take a look at Mantra Lovers.
One of many high web site builders on the market, Squarespace is thought for its easy, fantastically designed web site themes. This can be a nice possibility if you wish to construct a web site rapidly and customise little or no. Squarespace can be a sensible choice should you promote providers along with bodily objects.
For instance, a day spa would possibly want a spot for purchasers to e book providers and buy or subscribe to the objects their therapists use after a remedy. Squarespace designs already perform properly and look lovely, so typically, you gained’t must do a lot legwork to create a good looking web site quick.
🎯 Fast information:
- Worth: The Primary Commerce plan is $27 per 30 days, and the Superior Commerce plan is $46 per 30 days. You may save 30% on plans by committing for one year.
- Ease of use: Squarespace is a fairly easy web site builder to make use of, and should you need assistance, the corporate gives webinars, a assist heart, and a group discussion board.
- Options: Drag-and-drop builder; customizable templates; responsive design and picture scaling; promote bodily items or providers; no restrict on the variety of merchandise in your store; product catalogs; put up buy e mail sequences; stock administration and low stock notifications; Stripe and Paypal integrations; subscriptions.
- Stage of customization: All templates are customizable by way of the Squarespace editor, and you probably have coding information, you too can pop into the code. Remember that should you do select a Squarespace theme, you gained’t be capable to customise right down to the web page degree—the kinds you select might be constant web site large, which provides you much less flexibility total.
- Instance: Style and equipment model Flora Salvaje runs on Squarespace.
GoDaddy is a well known web site builder used to create portfolios, ecommerce shops, service-based enterprise websites, and extra. It’s beginner-friendly drag-and-drop builder makes use of synthetic intelligence to design your web site rapidly, taking the data you present to customise your web site in minutes.
One disadvantage of GoDaddy web sites is that the designs are fairly fundamental. They’re all clear and fashionable, however GoDaddy’s interface is for easy designs. If you wish to construct a web based retailer, you’ll have to make use of a separate on-line retailer builder for double the value as the primary builder.
🎯 Fast information
- Worth: If you’d like ecommerce performance, you’ll must pay $16.99 per 30 days for the Commerce plan or $29.99 per 30 days for the Commerce Plus plan. It can save you between 31% and 33% in your subscription by paying yearly. GoDaddy additionally gives a seven-day free trial.
- Ease of use: GoDaddy’s web site builder gives a pleasant and straightforward enhancing expertise for learners with out coding expertise.
- Options: Over 100 mobile-friendly templates; integrations with social media websites like Instagram and Fb; a number of fee choices akin to Google Pay and Venmo; integrates with Sq. POS (level of sale) to attach retail and on-line companies.
- Stage of customization: All templates are customizable. GoDaddy’s designs are fundamental and can’t be absolutely custom-made to create distinctive experiences on-line.
- Instance: She Moves Mountains Apparel is constructed on GoDaddy.
Duda is a design-forward web site builder for individuals who need a horny web site and depend on templates. You may create web sites quick, construct widgets, and model your web site. Duda is a little more costly than your common web site builder, with plans beginning at $14 per 30 days.
Duda was initially constructed for companies, however has since adopted options for anybody to make use of. For instance, you get entry to a variety of free widgets, or you’ll be able to construct one your self so as to add distinctive capabilities to your web site. You get a good quantity of artistic energy inside every template, which is nice for learners not assured of their web site constructing abilities.
🎯 Fast information
- Worth: Duda has three pricing tiers: Primary ($14 per 30 days), Workforce ($22 per 30 days), and Company ($44 per 30 days). It can save you 25% in your plan when paying yearly.
- Ease of use: Duda takes minutes to enroll in and begin constructing on. It gives a drag-and-drop builder to customise your template with none technical information.
- Options: Duda comes with a ton of design options, akin to an in-app picture editor and over 100 font kinds. It additionally enables you to create widgets to show tailor-made experiences for guests. You may simply set off pop-up messages and promos based mostly on varied components, akin to location or conduct.
- Stage of customization: Its web site builder is made to design quick. However you’ll be able to’t customise an excessive amount of exterior of your template.
- Instance: Japan Mobility makes use of Duda as a content material administration system for its web site.
Webflow is a robust DIY web site builder with professional-grade customization choices. Usually cited as a superior WordPress different, Webflow gives quite a lot of options designed to get you up and working with a versatile, absolutely custom-made web site. You aren’t confined to its pre-designed templates, providing advanced performance to builders and internet designers who wish to create with out limitations.
🎯 Fast information
- Worth: Webflow enables you to construct a web site without spending a dime, however you’ll have to purchase a plan to go reside. It gives ecommerce web site plans that begin at $29 per 30 days for Customary, $74 per 30 days for Plus, and $212 per 30 days for Superior. It can save you as much as 30% by paying yearly.
- Ease of use: After signing up, you’ll get entry to greater than 25 curated templates. You may select the perfect one which meets your small business sort. Including content material to your web site is extremely straightforward. If you find yourself able to publish modifications, you are able to do it with one click on. Webflow gives reside previews so there are not any surprises as soon as your web site is revealed.
- Options: Permits you to collaborate with colleagues on any web site design; tracks model historical past so you’ll be able to see who modified what and when; could be optimized for search engine marketing with none further plug-ins.
- Stage of customization: There are not any limits to what you’ll be able to create inside Webflow. You may construct web site interactions, web page transitions, and animations visually. If you wish to break exterior your consolation zone, Webflow is the web site builder for you.
- Instance: Shift runs on Webflow.
Some small enterprise house owners are in search of free web site builders to assist them hold prices low. Weebly is likely one of the few web site builders with a very free plan that features a free area, so should you don’t want your personal area and don’t thoughts the advertisements, that is your best option.
Weebly is a fundamental web site builder for private web sites for bloggers, freelancer portfolios, or easy purchasing carts if you wish to promote merchandise. In case you do resolve to improve, Weebly has reasonably priced plans, and it is very easy to make use of.
🎯 Fast information
- Worth: Weebly offers a free fundamental ecommerce account. The Private plan is $13 per 30 days, or $10 per 30 days billed yearly. The Skilled plan is $16 per 30 days, or $12 per 30 days billed yearly. The Efficiency plan is $29 per 30 days, or $26 per 30 days billed yearly.
- Ease of use: It’s straightforward to arrange and customise a web site on Weebly, and no prior technical information is critical.
- Options: Drag-and-drop interface; customizable themes; bulk product editor; coupon creator for promotions; cellular optimization; transport device with actual time charges; superior stock administration; product search; integrations with PayPal, Stripe, and Sq.; auto tax device.
- Stage of customization: Weebly’s drag-and-drop builder makes it fairly straightforward to start out with a theme and customise it along with your model’s colours, customized fonts, video backgrounds, and animation. If you wish to dive into the code, the choice to mess around with HTML and CSS is offered too.
- Instance: Take a look at Nature’s Kindle to see Weebly in motion.
Volusion gives nice knowledge insights into how your store is performing. It’s bought its personal built-in analytics instruments and may combine with companions like Fullstory and Google Analytics so you’ll be able to glean all the info that you must develop your small business.
🎯 Fast information
- Worth: Volusion has a 14-day free trial. After that, the Private plan is $35 per 30 days, the Skilled plan is $79 per 30 days, and the Marketing strategy is $209 per 30 days.
- Ease of use: Planning to make use of one among Volusion’s pre-baked themes? The net builder might be fairly straightforward to make use of. If you wish to fiddle with any design parts, although, Volusion can get sophisticated rapidly.
- Options: Assist heart, telephone, and chat buyer help; drag-and-drop builder; mobile-friendly themes; customized coupons and pricing for bespoke merchandise; fee integrations with Apple Pay, Stripe, and PayPal; recurring pricing for subscriptions; bulk order processing; zero transaction charges; integration with important instruments like Google Analytics, Fullstory, and Pinterest.
- Stage of customization: Volusion gives options irrespective of how comfy you might be with coding. Select from paid and free themes, and customise them right down to the web page degree. You may customise the web page structure with the drag-and-drop editor.
- Instance: Airframes Alaska runs on Volusion.
What’s so highly effective about WordPress is how a lot artistic management you’ve. In case you’re code savvy, you’ll be able to create the entire thing your self. Since WordPress is an open-source software program, it is continually being upgraded, so you’ll be able to anticipate it to carry out at its greatest always. It’s also possible to add a Shopify Buy Button to your WordPress web site to promote merchandise.
🎯 Fast information
- Worth: WordPress offers a free version so you’ll be able to try how all the things works, however to get full ecommerce performance it’s a must to pay. The Marketing strategy is $25 per 30 days and the Commerce plan with WooCommerce is $45 per 30 days. WordPress gives per 30 days reductions should you pay yearly.
- Ease of use: WordPress has a steep studying curve, so it may be tough to make use of at first. When you’ve mastered it, the quantity of customization, particularly you probably have a weblog, is highly effective—it simply will depend on how a lot work you’re prepared to place in upfront.
- Options: So as to get all the ecommerce options you want, it’s a must to additionally arrange an ecommerce plug-in like WooCommerce, which is free; reside chat buyer help; ecommerce plan consists of options like integration with Google Analytics, greater than 50,000 plug-ins, and transport carriers, advertising and search engine marketing instruments, and fee choices in over 60 international locations. Learn our Shopify vs. WooCommerce comparison and take a look at these WooCommerce alternatives to see a extra detailed breakdown.
- Stage of customization: You may code your personal WordPress web site if you wish to, however that requires a deep understanding of HTML. Primary customization is just a little difficult should you’re not tech savvy: you’ll be able to add your emblem, model colours, and model font fairly simply, however different modifications require HTML information, and it’s straightforward to interrupt WordPress web sites in case your code is incorrect. WordPress might be probably the most customizable device on the market, however should you’re not code savvy and also you need a extra custom-made product, you’ll seemingly need to pay somebody to create a web site for you.
- Instance: The House of Whisky is constructed on WordPress.
Discover the best web site builder on your particular wants
Your web site builder is what you’ll use to construct your on-line presence, whether or not that’s a easy portfolio or an entire enterprise web site with ecommerce performance. Identical to if you assess a spot to reside, you’ll must discover a dwelling on your on-line retailer based mostly in your present wants, whereas attempting to keep away from complications down the road.
In case you’re simply trying to put up a touchdown web page with retailer hours and your telephone quantity, a free web site builder could also be excellent. However should you’re trying to create an online store the place you’ll be able to join with prospects, take into account constructing a stable basis proper from day one.
Greatest web site builder FAQ
What are the perfect web site builders for small companies?
- Shopify: Greatest on your all-inclusive commerce wants
- Massive Cartel: Greatest for artists
- Wix: Greatest drag and drop builder
- Squarespace: Greatest pre-designed templates
- Weebly: Greatest for portfolios
- Volusion: Greatest for knowledge insights
- WordPress: Greatest for artistic management
What’s the greatest web site builder for ecommerce?
Shopify is the perfect total web site builder for ecommerce, as a result of it gives an all-inclusive commerce resolution for companies of any measurement.
Which web site builder is best to make use of?
Shopify’s intuitive platform makes it straightforward to make use of even for these new to web site constructing.
Which free web site builder is greatest?
Weebly gives the perfect free web site builder.