Amazon Kendra is a extremely correct and simple-to-use clever search service powered by machine studying (ML). Amazon Kendra presents a collection of information supply connectors to simplify the method of ingesting and indexing your content material, wherever it resides.
Priceless knowledge in organizations is saved in each structured and unstructured repositories. Amazon Kendra can pull collectively knowledge throughout a number of structured and unstructured data base repositories to index and search on.
One such data base repository is Microsoft SharePoint, and we’re excited to announce that we have now up to date the SharePoint connector for Amazon Kendra so as to add much more capabilities. On this new model (V2.0), we have now added help for SharePoint Subscription Version and a number of authentication and sync modes to index contents primarily based on new, modified, or deleted contents.
Now you can additionally select OAuth 2.0 to authenticate with SharePoint On-line. A number of synchronization choices can be found to replace your index when your knowledge supply content material modifications. You may filter the search outcomes primarily based on the person and group info to make sure your search outcomes are solely proven primarily based on person entry rights.
On this submit, we display learn how to index content material from SharePoint utilizing the Amazon Kendra SharePoint connector V2.0.
You need to use Amazon Kendra as a central location to index the content material supplied by numerous knowledge sources for clever search. Within the following sections, we undergo the steps to create an index, add the SharePoint connector, and check the answer.
To get began, you want the next:
Create an Amazon Kendra Index
To create an Amazon Kendra index, full the next steps:
- On the Amazon Kendra console, select Create an index.
- For Index title, enter a reputation for the index (for instance,
- Enter an non-obligatory description.
- Select Create a brand new function.
- For Function title, enter an IAM function title.
- Configure non-obligatory encryption settings and tags.
- Select Subsequent.
- For Entry management settings, select Sure.
- For Token configuration, set Token sort to JSON and depart the default values for Username and Teams.
- For Consumer-group growth, depart the defaults.
- Select Subsequent.
- For Specify provisioning, choose Developer version, which is suited to constructing a proof of idea and experimentation, and select Create.
Add a SharePoint knowledge supply to your Amazon Kendra index
One of many benefits of implementing Amazon Kendra is that you should use a set of pre-built connectors for knowledge sources equivalent to Amazon Simple Storage Service (Amazon S3), Amazon Relational Database Service (Amazon RDS), SharePoint On-line, and Salesforce.
So as to add a SharePoint knowledge supply to your index, full the next steps:
- On the Amazon Kendra console, navigate to the index that you simply created.
- Select Information sources within the navigation pane.
- Underneath SharePoint Connector V2.0, select Add connector.
- For Information supply title, enter a reputation (for instance,
- Enter an non-obligatory description.
- Select English (en) for Default language.
- Enter non-obligatory tags.
- Select Subsequent.
Relying on the internet hosting choice your SharePoint utility is utilizing, choose the suitable internet hosting technique. The required attributes for the connector configuration seem primarily based on the internet hosting technique you select.
- If you choose SharePoint On-line, full the next steps:
- Enter the URL to your SharePoint On-line repository.
- Select your authentication choice (these authentication particulars can be utilized by the SharePoint connector to combine together with your SharePoint utility).
- Enter the tenant ID of your SharePoint On-line utility.
- For AWS Secrets and techniques Supervisor secret, choose the key that has SharePoint On-line utility credentials or create a brand new secret and add the connection particulars (for instance,
The SharePoint connector makes use of the
password info to authenticate with the SharePoint On-line utility. These particulars might be accessed on the App registrations web page on the Azure portal, if the SharePoint On-line utility is already registered.
- If you choose SharePoint Server, full the next steps:
- Select your SharePoint model (for instance, we use SharePoint 2019 for this submit).
- Enter the location URL to your SharePoint Server repository.
- For SSL certificates location, enter the trail to the S3 bucket file the place the SharePoint Server SSL certificates is situated.
- Enter the online proxy host title and the port quantity particulars if the SharePoint server requires a proxy connection.
For this submit, no internet proxy is used as a result of the SharePoint utility used for this instance is a public-facing utility.
- Choose the authorization choice for the Entry Management Listing (ACL) configuration.
These authentication particulars can be utilized by the SharePoint connector to combine together with your SharePoint occasion.
- For AWS Secrets and techniques Supervisor secret, select the key that has SharePoint Server credentials or create a brand new secret and add the connection particulars (for instance,
The SharePoint connector makes use of the person title and password info to authenticate with the SharePoint Server utility. When you use an e mail ID with area type IDP because the ACL setting, the LDAP server endpoint, search base, LDAP person title, and LDAP password are additionally required.
To attain a granular stage of management over the searchable and displayable content material, identification crawler performance is launched within the SharePoint connector V2.0.
- Allow the identification crawler and choose Crawl Native Group Mapping and Crawl AD Group Mapping.
- For Digital Personal Cloud (VPC), select the VPC via which the SharePoint utility is reachable out of your SharePoint connector.
For this submit, we select No VPC as a result of the SharePoint utility used for this instance is a public-facing utility deployed on Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud (Amazon EC2) cases.
- Selected Create a brand new function (Really helpful) and supply a job title, equivalent to
- Select Subsequent.
- Choose entities that you simply want to embody for indexing. You may select All or particular entities primarily based in your use case. For this submit, we select All.
You may also embody or exclude paperwork through the use of common expressions. You may outline patterns that Amazon Kendra both makes use of to exclude sure paperwork from indexing or embody solely paperwork with that sample. For extra info, confer with SharePoint Configuration.
- Choose your sync mode to replace the index when your knowledge supply content material modifications.
You may sync and index all contents in all entities, whatever the earlier sync course of by deciding on Full sync, or solely sync new, modified, or deleted content material, or solely sync new or modified content material. For this submit, we choose Full sync.
- Select a frequency to run the sync schedule, equivalent to Run on demand.
- Select Subsequent.
On this subsequent step, you possibly can create subject mappings so as to add an additional layer of metadata to your paperwork. This allows you to enhance accuracy via manual tuning, filtering, and faceting.
- Evaluate the default subject mappings info and select Subsequent.
- As a final step, evaluation the configuration particulars and select Add knowledge supply to create the SharePoint connector knowledge supply for the Amazon Kendra index.
Take a look at the answer
Now you’re prepared to organize and check the Amazon Kendra search options utilizing the SharePoint connector.
For this submit, AWS getting began paperwork are added to the SharePoint knowledge supply. The pattern dataset used for this submit might be downloaded from AWS_Whitepapers.zip. This dataset has PDF paperwork categorized into a number of directories primarily based on the kind of paperwork (for instance, paperwork associated to AWS database choices, safety, and ML).
Additionally, pattern dataset directories in SharePoint are configured with person e mail IDs and group particulars in order that solely the customers and teams with permissions can entry particular directories or particular person recordsdata.
To attain granular-level management over the search outcomes, the SharePoint connector crawls the native or Energetic Listing (AD) group mapping within the SharePoint knowledge supply along with the content material when the identification crawler is enabled with the native and AD group mapping choices chosen. With this functionality, Amazon Kendra listed content material is searchable and displayable primarily based on the entry management permissions of the customers and teams.
To sync our index with SharePoint content material, full the next steps:
- On the Amazon Kendra console, navigate to the index you created.
- Select Information sources within the navigation pane and choose the SharePoint knowledge supply.
- Select Sync now to begin the method to index the content material from the SharePoint utility and look ahead to the method to finish.
When you encounter any sync points, confer with Troubleshooting data sources for extra info.
When the sync course of is profitable, the worth for Final sync standing can be set to Profitable – service is working usually. The content material from the SharePoint utility is now listed and prepared for queries.
- Select Search listed content material (below Information administration) within the navigation pane.
- Enter a check question within the search subject and press Enter.
A check question equivalent to “What’s the sturdiness of S3?” offers the next Amazon Kendra urged solutions. Word that the outcomes for this question are from all of the listed content material. It’s because there isn’t a context of person title or group info for this question.
- To check the access-controlled search, broaden Take a look at question with username or teams and select Apply person title or teams so as to add a person title (e mail ID) or group info.
When an Expertise Builder app is used, it consists of the person context, and due to this fact you don’t want so as to add person or group IDs explicitly.
- For this submit, entry to the Databases listing within the SharePoint web site is supplied to the database-specialists group solely.
- Enter a brand new check question and press Enter.
On this instance, solely the content material within the Databases listing is searched and the outcomes are displayed. It’s because the database-specialists group solely has entry to the Databases listing.
Congratulations! You could have efficiently used Amazon Kendra to floor solutions and insights primarily based on the content material listed out of your SharePoint utility.
Amazon Kendra Expertise Builder
You may construct and deploy an Amazon Kendra search utility with out the necessity for any front-end code. Amazon Kendra Expertise Builder helps you construct and deploy a totally useful search utility in a number of clicks in an effort to begin looking immediately.
Check with Building a search experience with no code for extra info.
To keep away from incurring future prices, clear up the assets you created as a part of this resolution. When you created a brand new Amazon Kendra index whereas testing this resolution, delete it when you not want it. When you solely added a brand new knowledge supply utilizing the Amazon Kendra connector for SharePoint, delete that knowledge supply after your resolution evaluation is accomplished.
Check with Deleting an index and data source for extra info.
On this submit, we confirmed learn how to ingest paperwork out of your SharePoint utility into your Amazon Kendra index. We additionally reviewed a number of the new options which are launched within the new model of the SharePoint connector.
To be taught extra in regards to the Amazon Kendra connector for SharePoint, confer with Microsoft SharePoint connector V2.0.
Lastly, don’t overlook to take a look at the other blog posts about Amazon Kendra!
Concerning the Creator
Udaya Jaladi is a Options Architect at Amazon Net Providers (AWS), specializing in helping Impartial Software program Vendor (ISV) prospects. With experience in cloud methods, AI/ML applied sciences, and operations, Udaya serves as a trusted advisor to executives and engineers, providing customized steerage on maximizing the cloud’s potential and driving revolutionary product improvement. Leveraging his background as an Enterprise Architect (EA) throughout various enterprise domains, Udaya excels in architecting scalable cloud options tailor-made to fulfill the particular wants of ISV prospects.